sports talk Forum Index sports talk
sports talk

acai20111983 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bowl when Me

View previous topic :: View next topic  
douhua2233

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:57 am    Post subject: Bowl when Me Reply with quote

The Panthers have signed three potential starters in the second wave of free agency.

Carolina signed safety Da'Norris Searcy and cornerback Ross Cockrell to two-year contracts on Friday and guard Jeremiah Sirles to a one-year deal. The financial terms were not released Cheap Rashaad Penny Jersey , although Cockrell's agency Reign Sports Management announced on Twitter his deal was worth $6.8 million.

Searcy and Cockrell both have North Carolina ties and were teammates before with the Buffalo Bills in 2014. It didn't take them long to resume their trash talking with Searcy having played at North Carolina and Cockrell from rival Duke.

"There has been plenty of it already," Cockrell joked on a conference call Friday.

Added Searcy: "Oh yeah, it started when we got off the plane. We already played together and we carried that relationship over from Buffalo."

All three free agents fill vacancies left from last season and could start for the Panthers in 2018.

Searcy was brought in to compete for a starting safety position that opened up when the team released veteran Kurt Coleman.

Searcy is a seven-year NFL veteran who spent the past three seasons with the Titans after four seasons (2011-14) with the Bills. His most productive season came in 2014 when he had 65 tackles and three interceptions.

Searcy played in all 16 games last season for the Titans with six starts, recording 27 tackles, one quarterback pressure, one interception and two passes defensed. He also had six stops on special teams.

He lost his starting job last season, but said he still sees himself as a starter.

"Situations change," Searcy said. "I took it on the chin and still helped the team and played excellent when I was there. I will carry myself as a starter and let the chips fall where they may."

Cockrell, a four-year NFL veteran, is expected to compete for the starting cornerback spot created when Panthers general manager Marty Hurney traded away Daryl Worley to the Eagles for wide receiver Torrey Smith earlier this month.

"I am ready to come in and make plays on the ball," Cockrell said. That is what I do."

Cockrell played in all 16 regular season games with nine starts for the Giants last season and led the team with 11 passes defensed. He also had 49 tackles and a career-high three interceptions, including one he returned for a touchdown.

He was drafted in the fourth round in 2014 and has played in 53 career games with 31 starts over his four-year career. Since entering the league he has recorded 153 total tackles Adidas Evander Kane Jersey , 32 passes defensed and five interceptions.

It will be a homecoming for Cockrell, who grew up in the Charlotte area and played at Charlotte Latin High School.

"It's a great pleasure to come back and rekindle some family ties," Cockrell said. "This is great place to play football. We are not too far removed from a 15-1 season and a Super Bowl."

Sirles enters his fifth season, having spent the past three with the Vikings and will have a chance to compete for the starting guard spot vacated when All-Pro Andrew Norwell signed with the New York Giants.

Sirles has played in 30 career NFL games with 15 starts.

He played in 14 regular season games with four starts last season for the Vikings, with all four coming at left guard.

The 6-foot-6, 315-pound Sirles helped the Vikings rank seventh in the NFL in rushing yards with 122.3 yards per game. In his starts, Minnesota averaged 132 yards rushing yards per game, nearly 10 yards more than the season average.

He started a career-high 10 games while playing in 14 in 2016.

__

Anthony Miller is trying really hard to follow advice given to him at the NFL combine.

Slow down, just enough to stay focused and avoid making a mistake simply because the wide receiver is moving too fast.

That's easier said than done for the man who had no offers from any FBS college coming out of high school and chose to walk on at Memphis. Miller is in a hurry to prove he's the best wide receiver in the 2018 NFL draft.

"There's not anything in my game that somebody can say that I don't have," Miller said. "I feel like I bring a lot to the table, and I feel like I deserve a chance. That's really all I need is a chance. Say I go first round or third round, if I get that chance I'm going to remain on that team. They're going to love what I bring to the table."

Miller comes by that self-confidence naturally. That's why he ignored a couple of offers from Football Championship Subdivision schools in order to walk on at his hometown university. And he left with a handful of receiving records: 238 catches for 3 Youth Braden Smith Jersey ,590 yards and 37 touchdowns for his career. He topped his own single-season marks with 96 receptions for 1,462 yards, helping Memphis rank No. 25 in the final Associated Press poll.

"It's just fun to me," Miller said of playing football. "I feel like a person shouldn't do anything if they don't enjoy doing it. Whenever I step on that field, I see it as fun. I'm blessed to have this talent that I have, and every time I step on that field I'm just going to give it my all because it's created so many opportunities for me as well."

Kevin Locastro has seen Miller's love of football. Locastro first met Miller when the receiver was in the seventh grade and headed to Christian Brothers High School. Miller came in as a freshman, undersized and maybe 105 pounds, but always the first player on the field for practice and the last to leave. He saw someone who enjoyed football so much that Miller's work ethic was infectious, even in the sticky heat of summer weight workouts.

"You don't see much of his humility when he's playing, to be honest with you," said Locastro, now athletic director at Lausanne Collegiate School. "Not that he's an in-your-face Clayton Kershaw Jersey , trash-talking type kid all the time. He plays with a certain level of confidence, and he wants to compete with the best. As soon as he steps off the field, he's just a really good young man. He's a yes sir, no sir kid. Very polite."

Miller had one edge, even as a high school freshman: big hands. Locastro says it seems Miller's hands are still growing, and Miller had some of the largest hands measured at this year's combine at 10 inches.

"The other day I visited my grandma, and we put our hands up next to each other. I saw that her hands were pretty big as well," Miller said of his mother's mother. "She's like, 'That's where you got your hands from.' I said, 'maybe so.' But my dad has big hands as well. So do my uncles. I guess it runs in the family a little bit."

Miller also lifted 225 pounds 22 times at the combine. Memphis coach Mike Norvell, who calls Miller one of the greatest wide receivers he's been around, said that combination allows Miller to do so many things.

"When he gets those mitts on you Deion Sanders 49ers Jersey , it's a challenge for most defensive backs," Norvell said. "But then some of the catches that you see him have, the one-handed catches, the reaction catches where he's only able to get one hand up, having the size hands that he has and the strength that he has in them really allows him to do some special things catching the football."

Miller answered one question about himself on April 3. He broke his right foot in the Liberty Bowl when Memphis lost 21-20 to Iowa State , but Miller ran the 40-yard dash at Memphis' pro day , where he was told scouts clocked him at 4.46 and 4.52 seconds.

That has kept him very busy visiting with teams. The Minnesota Vikings showed interest, as did Carolina and Atlanta. He grew up rooting for the Cowboys like his father, but Miller only wants to be drafted.

"Like I said," he repeated, "I just need an opportunity."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    sports talk Forum Index -> Test Forum 1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: